A must-have for every knitter! We cannot emphasise enough how important and magical blocking is for your lovingly crafted handknits. To let the stitches bloom, for drape, for fit, for neatness...
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BLOCK YOUR HANDKNITS
18 interlocking, fiber-topped EVA foam tiles, each measures 12" × 12" (tiles from the new kit are compatible with older Knitter's Block tiles)
40 stainless steel T-pins
48" square cotton cloth woven with 1" square gingham to help measure your finished piece
A sturdy jute bag to contain the kit
To see the Knitter's Block in action and read tips on blocking, see the Blocking Tutorial.
WHAT MAKES KNITTER’S BLOCK SPECIAL?
Very low, lightly barbed pile
fabric covering gently grips your knitting without pilling or leaving fibers
can be assembled in a variety of sizes from a square for sweater pieces, a long rectangle for scarves or a triangle for shawls
Thick backing of waterproof EVA
suitable for use on any surface since moisture won’t seep through
holds pins firmly in place
blocked items dry faster than with towels because the tiles don't absorb water
essential for steam blocking
blocks are stored in a sturdy 14”x14” bag
THE KNITTER’S BLOCK STORY by Julie Weisenburg
First-time blockers are always AMAZED by the difference blocking makes to the final appearance of their knitting. After blocking, sweater parts lay flat, stitches even out, and what looked like a wild mess now behaves nicely. It’s like magic!
After 20 years of teaching knitting, I’ve never grown tired of instructing my students on finishing techniques. In fact, the technique of blocking is one of my favourite things to demonstrate.
I used to demonstrate blocking with pieces of carpet, but carpet scorched easily and was too thin for blocking pins to sink into. Rugs, towels and bulky blocking boards weren’t much better. Many of my students didn’t bother to block because it was such a cumbersome task.
With this in mind, I set out to improve on the carpet pieces. I eventually had special tiles custom made for blocking, and the end result is my Knitter’s Block kit.