Monday 29th Jul: 2pm - 5pm
Beginners Shibori – Stitching and Binding
Join us for this super exciting class on Japanese shibori resist dyeing! The class covers beginner’s stitching and binding techniques as well as indigo dyeing.
In this 3 hour class you will learn:
– Tying a basic kamosage knot used to secure all bound work
– Making the kumo (spiderweb), bai (seashell), and ne maki (bound beads) patterns using binding thread
– The three basic shibori stitches – nui (running stitch), ori nui (teeth) and maki nui (twist stitch) and see examples of what you can make with them
– Other patterns such as makiage (filled shapes), karamatsu (larch) and mokume (woodgrain) will be presented if time permits
– How to dye your work in a genuine indigo vat
Instructions on how to create and maintain your own indigo vat at home will be provided.
Suitable for complete beginners.
Skill Level & Prep Work:
We are sorry but we cannot offer refunds on classes if you are unable to attend for whatever reason, unless we are able to refill your spot.
About Rob Jones:
London-based Romor Designs was formed in the Autumn of 2015 by Rob Jones, a shibori textiles designer and natural dyer.
Having discovered Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing, at West Dean college, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo guru, Bryan Whitehead.
In 2018, Rob returned to Japan to expand his Japanese textiles skills, visiting Ise, the home of Katagami stencilling and buying supplies to set up his own teaching practice back in the UK.
Rob’s passion is in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill that shibori has behind it. He believes in taking work in new directions by combining techniques and inventing his own forms.