Hilja is a wonderful pattern by Aleks Byrd for some super useful and stylish mitts, AND is the perfect jumping off point for learning the Estonian Roosimine technique *!
Also, the perfect opportunity to try a new yarn that you might have been eyeing up?
Your Kit includes:
• The Yarn! Enough to make a gorgeous pair of mitts / wrist warmers. See options below, and "Kit Specs" tab for yardage and weight info for each kit, as well as links to each yarn for more info!
• Printed Pattern for Hilja Mitts by Aleks Byrd, plus a download link for digital copy which can be added to your Ravelry library!
• (Optional add-on) Exclusive iKnit7 Project Bag!
You will also need:
• 3mm / US 2.5 DPNs or 80 cm / 32” circular needle for magic loop (fixed or interchangeable)
• Stitch markers
• Tapestry needle
One Size (although super easy to modify!):
A. Length: 24 cm / 9.5”
B. Wrist circumference: 20 cm / 8”
C. Length cuff to thumb hole: 18 cm / 7”
Advanced beginner who's comfortable knitting with two colours in the round. The pattern includes links to brilliant video tutorials by Aleks.
* Roosimine (rosie-me-ney) is an Estonian inlay technique that creates the appearance of embroidery through intentional floats in contrasting yarn on the right side of your knitting.
It’s the perfect technique to add some embellishment to your knitting that is easier than intarsia.
The name Roosimine translates to “decorating with roses”, which comes from a style of short stitch embroidery done on the Estonian island of Muhu.
In this fun KAL you will learn:
- How to read Roosimine charts
- Working with moving inlay yarn
* Please note that since we break up individual skeins for mini's for these kits, the kits are non-refundable.
PRESELI KITS: 50g MC + 10g CC1 + 10g CC2
GARTHENOR NO2 KITS: 50G MC + 10g CC1 + 10g CC2
ARTYARNS KITS: 50g MC + 10g CC1 + 10g CC2
HOLST KITS: 50g MC + 50g CC1 + 50g CC2
RIVERKNITS KITS: 40g MC + 20g CC1 + 20g CC2
Yardage: (Pattern requires 118m MC + 24m CC1 + 12m CC2)
PRESELI KITS: 190m MC + 38m CC1 + 38m CC2 (you might squeeze 2 pairs out of this!)
GARTHENOR NO2 KITS: 170m MC + 38m CC1 + 38m CC2
ARTYARNS KITS: 200m MC + 40m CC1 + 40m CC2 (you might squeeze 2 pairs out of this!)
HOLST KITS: 287m MC + 287m CC1 + 287m CC2 (enough for 3 pairs!)
RIVERKNITS KITS: 160m MC + 80m CC1 + 80m CC2
ABOUT ALEKS BYRD
Aleks is a knitwear designer and illustrator with a heritage that embraces her multi national identity (American, Canadian and Estonian) and Estonian ancestry.
Aleks follows the thread of her own ancestry and weaves it into new patterns of today, absorbing and processing influences to produce new and unique knitwear with a connection to the past.
She passes on her knowledge in a variety of workshops about various knitting techniques, particularly surrounding Estonian knitting. Her understanding of both western and Estonian knitting cultures as well as learning styles allows her to translate and be a “knitting ambassador” for modern traditional knitting.